Behavioral Therapy (ABA)
What is ABA?
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy is the application of evidence-based learning principles to teach functional skills and replace challenging behaviors with socially appropriate alternatives. ABA therapy includes assessment, ongoing measurement of progress, direct intervention, and parent training. At TDCC, ABA therapy aims to improve a child’s developmental trajectory and quality of life by enhancing their independent access to the world.
ABA can be provided in both structured and naturalistic teaching settings to address a wide variety of skills. ABA therapy at TDCC can be delivered in the centre, home, larger community, nursery, or school. All ABA therapy programs are overseen by a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst and Case Manager.
Direct ABA therapy sessions take place with a trained Behavior Therapist who incorporates the child’s motivation and interests within activities aimed to build new target skills and abilities. While simultaneously addressing behaviors barriers that may impact the rate of skill development.
Our experts use ABA to plan for skill development in the areas of:
- Early Intervention
- Meaningful social behaviors and relationships
- Communication, social skills, play, imitation, fine motor skills, and gross motor skills
- Personal independence includes feeding, dressing, personal hygiene, and toileting
- Group learning and classroom inclusion
- Academic progress
- Replacement of challenging, risky or disruptive behavior
List of TDCC services:
- Functional Behavioral Assessments
- Skill-based assessments such as VB-MAPP (Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program), the ABLLS-R (Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills Revised), and PEAK (Promoting Emergence of Advanced Knowledge) Assessment.
- Functional Communication Training (FCT) · Individualized Treatment Plans to plan for acquisition across a wide range of skills
- Behaviour Support Plans to reduce learning barriers and replace challenging behavior
- Behavior and Learning Support Assistants for daily support within educational placements
- Parent, caregiver, and teacher training
- School observation and consultation
- Social Skill Groups
Training from our ABA experts includes:
- Registered Behaviour Therapist (RBT) Training
- ACE approved professional training
- Parent workshops
- Professional workshops