SPOT Therapy is a uniquely designed therapy program for children who would benefit from Speech-Language and Occupational therapy sessions at the same time.
The benefits of SPOT therapy are numerous:
- Working with both clinicians at the same time can assist with facilitating attention and participation in the session.
- Two clinicians increase the number of people your child is required to interact with at one time. Often working 1:1 for social skills can be challenging, however with the addition of another person, the child is better able to work on social skills such as following directions in a larger group, initiate and maintain conversations in a group, concepts like winning and losing, waiting and sharing.
- Speech pathologists working alongside occupational therapist can use this as an opportunity to improvise and increase the language and communication output in a functional way. Many activities and tasks planned by the occupational therapist can
- Incorporate speech pathology goals. In day-to-day life we do these together all the time!
- Regular feedback and session strategies are shared with parents for consistency, which ensures that the children are learning and being supported in the same way from all who are involved.